Picture: Stephen Morgan
Bridgend artist and stroke survivor
Bridgend Writers’ Circle
Short Story Open Competition
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. You may submit a maximum of two original unpublished short stories in English
(at £5.00 first entry or two for £7.50).
Entries must not have been ranked in any previous Competition.
Entries must not have been read or heard by members of BWC or by the final judge.
2. Word count: 1500 to 1800 words. Word count to be shown in top right hand corner of entry.
3. Page numbers and the title of the story must be inserted at the bottom of each page.
Entries must be in English, typed using the Times New Roman 12 font, double spaced,
on A4, single sided. Do not staple or use paper-
4. Do not include your name or any other details on the same page as your short story.
Entries will be disqualified if they show name, address or identifying marks other than the
5. Each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry form. Entries received without
the correct entry form will not be accepted and cheques will not be cashed.
Entry forms can be downloaded from our website: http://bridgendwriters.webplus.net/
[provided you have Adobe Reader or other PDF viewer installed on your PC]
6. Entries are not returned, keep a copy. No corrections can be made after receipt, nor
7. The closing date is 1 March 2019. Entries received after this date will not be
deemed eligible. No refund will be given for late entry and cheques received after the
closing date will not be cashed.
8. Entries should be sent by post as a hard-
entry should fit into an A5 envelope, which requires an ordinary stamp. However, if you
choose to use an A4 envelope, a Large Letter stamp is needed. Letters withheld at the
sorting office because of insufficient postage will not be collected and paid for.
Letters should be addressed to: BWC Open Competition
7 Coed Derw, Broadlands
Emails should be addressed to Janine Enos firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheques to be made payable to: Bridgend Writers’ Circle
Cash is not accepted
Closing date: 1 March 2019 St. David’s Day
Send sae for any other enquiry
9. The competition is open to all writers over the age of 18 at the closing date.
10. The competition is not open to members or family of Bridgend Writers’ Circle.
11. Entries will be accepted provided that they have not previously been broadcast or published in any form (including appearing on the internet) and that the story is entirely original, entirely the entrant's own work and does not infringe the copyright or any other right of any third party.
12. Entries should not be sent for consideration, for publication or broadcast elsewhere
during the period of the competition.
13. Entries will be judged anonymously.
14. All valid entries will be judged.
15. Experienced readers will assist the named judge in selecting the shortlist.
16. Winners of the 2019 Bridgend Writers' Circle Short Story competition will be decided by
the Author Colum Sanson-
The judge's decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
17. Winners will be notified by email or phone by the 1 June 2019.
18. The names of the winners will be published on our website, as soon as practicable after
the winning announcement.
19. The organisers reserve the right to cancel the competition should the number of entries
not be sufficient.
20. The organisers reserve the right not to award prizes should the standard of entry be
21. The organisers reserve the right to change the name of the judge if circumstances dictate.
22. Winners of the short story competition will be invited to attend our July meeting (if possible)
to receive their prizes. Those unable to attend will receive their prizes through the post.
23. Copyrights of any story remains with the author, but Bridgend Writers' Circle has the
unrestricted right to publish the winning stories in a future anthology, on its website, and in
any related material for PR purposes.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRY IMPLIES ACCEPTANCE OF RULES AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS